What is Progesterone?
Progesterone is the hormone secreted by the ovaries after a woman produces an
egg during the middle of her menstrual cycle. Progesterone is the dominant
female hormone for the last half of the menstrual cycle.
Female Hormonal Balance
Female hormonal balance between the estrogen hormones and progesterone is
essential in order for women to obtain and maintain health and wellness. The
three human estrogen hormones (estrone, estradiol and estriol) have numerous
effects on the body which require the balance of progesterone to prevent the
hyper effects of
which can lead to a host of health problems.
Good health occurs when the hormones in the body are produced in adequate
amounts and are in balance. Think of this as hormonal harmony, as if the
hormones are a symphony orchestra. If one section of the orchestra is too
loud, say the brass section, then this will drown out the other sections of
the orchestra and ruin the symphony.
What Effects do the Three Human Estrogen Hormones (Estrone, Estradiol and
Estriol) have in the Body?
- Stimulate growth of the lining of the womb or uterus
- Cause breast tissue to develop and grow
- Promote fat storage and weight gain
- Promote fluid retention
- Cause thickening of the blood
- Decrease bone loss
- Increase emotional sensitivity
- Activate progesterone receptors
- Inhibits sex drive
Stimulate the production of thyroid binding globulin by the liver
(inhibiting the action of the
- Causes feminization
What are the benefits of Progesterone?
Progesterone has the following effects which counterbalance the estrogen
- Matures the uterine lining preventing excess buildup of tissue
Inhibits breast tissue overgrowth (preventing fibrocystic breast disease)
- Has a diuretic effect which mobilizes fluid (decreasing swelling)
- Enhances the action of thyroid hormones (increasing metabolism)
Stimulates the production of new bone (protecting against osteoporosis)
- Increases sex drive
- Protects against breast cancer and uterine cancer
- Thins the blood (preventing blood clots)
Supports the function of the
- Elevates mood
- Promotes pregnancy
Request Your Appointment Today!
To request your appointment, please call
(281) 369-9514 or
contact us online today!